Swaziland

Swaziland is a tiny country in southern Africa. It shares 75 percent of its borders with South Africa and the other 25 percent with Mozambique.

Screen shot 2016-05-26 at 11.48.09 PM

Map of Swaziland

 

About 1.3 million people live in this country the size of New Jersey. About 28 percent of the population — or about 364,000 people — have HIV. Life expectancy is about 60 years. There are about 14 neonatal deaths per 1000 births and 390 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births per year.

Swaziland needs help improving the health of its population. That’s where the Peace Corps steps in to create sustainable projects communities actually need, like gardens or health education programs.

 

All health statistics are from the WHO: http://www.who.int/countries/swz/en/.